April 20th - April 24th, 2020
Join OU Hillel starting Monday, April 20th for Israel Week 2020! Just because the campus is closed does not mean the fun, festivities, and learning will be postponed. Now more than ever we need to come together and learn from and about each other.
What better way to learn about all of the various cultures that combine in Israeli cuisine than by joining a Virtual Cooking Class and tasting what this country has to offer! Cooking not your style, then how about sharing an evening with friends (new and old) while watching a movie. Want to gain a deeper understanding of the connection between the peoples, religion, and the land? Dive into a discussion with one of our most knowledgeable and cherished Rabbis, providing a unique and engaging learning opportunity for all.
To learn more about each event, obtain Zoom links, or request reimbursement/funding, please click on the "Events & RSVP" main tab or contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
OU Hillel is grateful to Hillel International for their assistance in sponsoring events and programs like these!
Schedule of Events
* Please click on the "Events & RSVP" tab or visit Events on Facebook (Hillel at The University of Oklahoma) for more details or to obtain links.
Monday, April 20th at 6:00 pm CST
Israeli Cooking Class via Zoom! - Ingredient lists, funding, and reimbursements available; deadlines apply.
Tuesday, April 21st at 10:00 am CST
Yom HaShoah Reflection and Remembrance - various opportunities and events (Yom Hashoah tab under 'Events & RSVP').
Wednesday, April 22nd at 8:00 pm CST
Israel Movie Night - send your suggestion by Friday, April 17th (email@example.com).
Thursday, April 23rd at 3:00 pm CST
Nosh & Learn with Rabbi Juan Mejia - Israel, Torah, Food, Culture, and Connections.
Thursday, April 23rd at 7:00 pm CST
Holy Land "Happy Hour"
Friday, April 24th at 5:00 pm CST
Pre-Shabbat Challah Bake with Alex & Jacob - Baking is a stress reliever, so let's end our week braiding challah and kindling Shabbat candles.
FUN FACTS ABOUT ISRAEL
1) Israel is the only country in the world that has more trees today than it had 50 years ago.
2) Israel has more museums per capita than any other country, including the world’s only underwater museum.
3) Voicemail technology was developed in Israel.
4) Israel is home to the world’s only theater company comprised entirely of deaf and blind actors.
5) Two professors at Jerusalem’s Hebrew University created the first cherry tomatoes.
6) Israel has the world’s highest rate of university degrees on a per capita basis.
7) Israel developed the technology that allowed for the original cell phone.
8) An Israeli company developed the first ingestible video camera that helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders.
9) Israel has more in-vitro fertilization per capita than any other country, and it’s free.
10) Despite the tough conditions in which many of them live, numerous studies rank Israelis among the happiest people among Western nations.